Dragaera

How much does Vlad *really* know about Kragar?

Maximilian Wilson wilson.max at gmail.com
Thu Jan 5 13:33:26 PST 2006

On 1/5/06, Davdi Silverrock <davdisil at gmail.com> wrote:
> Yes.  That is, she implied that it was a possible outcome that
> Morrolan might kill him (as far as she knew).  I'm 99.95% sure that
> Morrolan was told "The Easterner may provoke you.  Do not kill him, no
> matter how rude he becomes."  Or words to that effect (possibly even
> simpler: "We need his cooperation.").

Hmmm.

>"Standard rates for the job you did," I explained, glancing at the
body. "You do good work."
>At which point the tray went flying as Sethra Lavode struck it. She
stood and her hand went
>to the hilt of her weapon. Morrolan also stood, and I swear he growled.

So was she acting here, or at least deliberately not reining in her
temper? (She wouldn't have actually killed him with Iceflame, any more
than I would actually throttle a bratty seven-year-old. But neither
the kid nor Vlad has to know that.)

> > It did succeed in making Vlad feel better, although he wasn't sure why.
>
> As far as he knew at that time, she meant it, and was capable of
> carrying it out.

> > Agree. Vlad really has a soft spot for people, doesn't he?
>
> He has a soft spot for people who are loyal to him.  Not so much with
> the everyone else.

True, but I guess it's no wonder he didn't make it in the Jhereg,
long-term. The bosses--who are presumably the "archetypical"
Jhereg--are not very much like him. Far more cold-blooded, less touchy
about personal honor, willing as Sethra said to discuss a business
deal no matter how they were brought into it. I wonder what Dolivar
was like.

Max Wilson

P.S. Two interesting observations: Kierra calls them "brandies," not
"wines" like most Dragaerans. Also, Anne Rice has a recent book named
/Taltos/ too.

--
Be pretty if you are,
Be witty if you can,