Dragaera

(Orca spoiler)

Fri Jan 6 05:59:28 PST 2006

----- Original Message -----
From: "Maximilian Wilson" <wilson.max at gmail.com>
To: "Dragaera List" <dragaera at dragaera.info>
Sent: Thursday, January 05, 2006 6:56 PM
Subject: Re: (Orca spoiler)

On 1/5/06, Philip Hart <philiph at slac.stanford.edu> wrote:
> There's a bit in _Issola_ where V mutters to himself in F, so perhaps
> he's fully bilingual or that's his milk tongue.

Well, he's been to Fenarr, and it's some sort of soldier's curse.
Oddly enough, cursing seems to be one of the first things people pick
up in a new language; perhaps because the grammar of expletives is so
basic, and expletives are disproportionately likely to be curses. So
it could be a phrase learned in adulthood, even.

Max Wilson

--
Be pretty if you are,
Be witty if you can,

Jeff
-Can still order beer in most of the major European languages.