Dragaera

Religious swearing

Davdi Silverrock davdisil at gmail.com
Sat Jan 7 21:20:34 PST 2006

On 1/7/06, Howard Brazee <howard at brazee.net> wrote:

> But where this conversation goes to is determining how various cultures
> in Dragaera swear.   It doesn't appear that the Easterners have the same
> confidence in the everyday existence of gods.   Do both cultures say
> swear by Vera's blood?   It is interesting that when Vlad used an
> unfamiliar curse - he was asked if that was from something that really
> had been observed (we had observed that yes, it was in fact something real).

Do you mean this exchange in /Phoenix/ (via Amazon Search Inside)?

[Begin Cite]

Vlad:  "[...] But I know what I'm going to do first: find out just
what, by the blood on Verra's floor, is going on in South Adrilankha."
"Blood on Verra's floor?" said Morrolan. "I don't think I've heard
that oath before."
"No," I said. "You probably haven't."

[End Cite]

(the blood on Verra's floor was Vlad's own, of course)

Probably the most amusing oath was this one from /Issola/:

Vlad: "By Verra's tits," I said, forgetting then remembering that the
pair of them weren't all that far away...