Dragaera

the honing of Vlad

Jon_Lincicum at stream.com Jon_Lincicum at stream.com
Mon Jan 9 10:22:27 PST 2006

Jay Smith <goannaman at gmail.com>
Sent by: dragaera-bounces at dragaera.info
01/09/06 10:02 AM

Steve Simmons <scs at di.org>
cc
Dragaera List <dragaera at dragaera.info>
Subject
Re: the honing of Vlad (was Re: How much does Vlad *really* know about
Kragar?)

>On 1/9/06, Steve Simmons <scs at di.org> wrote:
>>
>> Actually, I think Vlad is (unbeknownst to him) founding the House of
the
>> East, which will replace Phoenix in the cycle.
>> --
>
>I respectfully disagree.
>
>I don't think the Easterners will ever find a place within the cycle,
except
>as Teckla or Jhereg.

I've always half expected Vlad to have a hand in undoing the cycle...
Though the dating in the front matter of the Paarfi books suggests this
hasn't happened by well into Norathar's reign, which should be well after
Vlad's death, unless he somehow has an unusually long life.

>On a related note, if an Easterner purchased a high enough title in the
>Jhereg, could they be considered a canidate for heir?

I've always gotten the impression that the Jhereg heir was just the one
with so much money and power that no one else could touch him... Not so
much a matter of "buying a high enough title" as it is a matter of having
a title; then using assassination, fear, money, intimidation, and other
nasty mafia-style tactics to rise to the top of the heap and stay there.
(Given the difference in life-spans, it seems quite unlikely that any
Easterner would have the time to overcome the power and resources of
whichever Dragaeran happens to sit on top of the Jhereg Council at the
moment... A man Vlad was even /less/ willing to consider taking out that
the Empress herself, I might add.)

Vlad is precocious, however, and a Great Weapon probably goes a long way.
Who can say?
Majikjon