Dragaera

the honing of Vlad

Jon_Lincicum at stream.com Jon_Lincicum at stream.com
Mon Jan 9 14:17:06 PST 2006

Philip Hart <philiph at slac.stanford.edu>
Sent by: dragaera-bounces at dragaera.info
01/09/06 01:41 PM

Dragaera List <dragaera at dragaera.info>
cc

Subject
Re: the honing of Vlad

On Mon, 9 Jan 2006, Davdi Silverrock wrote:

>> But I could be wrong, and perhaps the Empire becomes the biggest
>> Jhereg area of all when the Cycle turns that way, and the Emperor is
>> synonymous with the head of the Jhereg Council at that time.
>
>Zerika's comments to Vlad lead me to believe the above.  What role
>the Left Hand plays here strikes me as unclear, perhaps unplausibly so.

Paarfi talks at one point (In TPG, I think) about how the Jhereg take over
the Orb due to the rule of the Vallista applying the taxation laws more
rigourously than the other houses (presumably to pay for all their
building projects) which allows the Jhereg to become rich, and then use
their own power and influence to put their own candidate on the throne.

Whether this Emperor candidate is the same individual as the Head of the
Council, I would say, depends on whether the Head of the Council happens
to be the type of person who likes to take personal control of things, or
is the type who likes to rule from behind the scenes. (As Prime Minister,
maybe, or even Discreet). I would imagine that Davdi's probably correct,
there likely have been both types during different cycles.

And the leader of the Left Hand becomes Court Wizard, of course. Probably
drives the Athyra of the period absolutely nuts.

Majikjon