Dragaera

OT: grammar

Jon_Lincicum at stream.com Jon_Lincicum at stream.com
Tue Jan 10 06:46:16 PST 2006

Tsarren <tsarren at alyra.org>
Sent by: dragaera-bounces at dragaera.info
01/09/06 01:26 PM

dragaera at dragaera.info
cc

Subject
OT: grammar (was: Re: the honing of Vlad)

>On Mon, Jan 09, 2006 at 08:26:09AM -0700, Jeff G. wrote:
>>
>> 1. Those that are complete and ready for whatever purpose the LoJ have
are
>> retained (Kieron)
>>
>> 2. Those that are complete, but still have a purpose are sent back as
undead
>> (Sethra)
>>
>> 3. Those that are flawed, or not needed are kept as servants (Purple
Robes)
>> or dumped as needed for random reincarnation.
>>
>> 4. Those that are not yet complete are sent back to learn the specific
>> skills / mindset to serve the purpose the LoJ have set for them. (Vlad)
>
>Is it just me or should those sentences open with "Those who" instead of
>"Those that", since the subjects are people?  There should be a grammar
>fiend or three on this list who would know.

Given the nature of some of the gods (Ordwynac is a flaming stick, for
crying out loud) "Those That" may, in fact, be more correct in many cases.
Presumably, the gods started out as souls to be judged, themselves. (If
not from Dragaera, then from somewhere else.)

Nyssa is a formless cloud, Barlen and Tri'nagore are scaly monsters of
some sort, and this doesn't even include the one who's a hyper-intelligent
shade of the color blue.

Majikjon
(Gotta love those subtle HHG references.)