Dragaera

Not a witch?

Davdi Silverrock davdisil at gmail.com
Wed Jan 11 13:41:08 PST 2006

On 1/11/06, Jon_Lincicum at stream.com <Jon_Lincicum at stream.com>

> Isn't a Wizard a person who wraps up all the magical disciplines
> (including witchcraft) into an object--along with his/her soul?
>
> Loraan was a Wizard, and also an undead. Does this mean he was an undead
> witch?

I would tend to strongly doubt it.

Citing /Issola/ again:

"Witchcraft," [Morrolan] explained, "is something else again."

I could be wrong in my interpretation, but I think that witchcraft is
most closely akin to psionics.  This because all of the Dragaeran
magical systems (sorcery, elder sorcery, necromancy and wizardry)
appear to involve amorphia.  Witchcraft, while it does heavily involve
the use of things that are symbols in order to make things easier for
the witch, does not actually *require* anything besides the witch's
mind and will.  Or so Vlad appears to imply.  Note also that it was
Daymar's purely psychic boost that helped Vlad in /Jhereg/.