Dragaera

Not a witch?

Davdi Silverrock davdisil at gmail.com
Wed Jan 11 13:51:02 PST 2006

On 1/11/06, rone <rone at ennui.org> wrote:
>   Sethra: "If sorcery worked there, I don't think we'd be having this
>   problem, and I can't think what other magic we might use. Unlike you,
>   I'm not a witch."
>
> So why the hell ISN'T Sethra a witch, anyway?  She's certainly had
> enough time to learn it...

Perhaps it's a matter of pride.  She would inevitably be required to
spend a reasonably lengthy period of time learning with someone much
younger and inexperienced than herself.  She might feel that doing
this would be demeaning.

And as for "enough time", well, until Adron's Disaster, I don't think
it ever occurred to her that there would be a time when sorcery
stopped working (and even after it did so, there was still Elder
Sorcery), so she would see no reason to learn a magic which did not
use sorcery.