Dragaera

Not a witch?

Jon_Lincicum at stream.com Jon_Lincicum at stream.com
Thu Jan 12 06:36:42 PST 2006

Jose Marquez <jhereg69 at earthlink.net>
Sent by: dragaera-bounces at dragaera.info
01/11/06 09:01 PM

Dragaera <dragaera at dragaera.info>
cc

Subject
Re: Not a witch?

>There is more than one type of psychic communication. Vlad and Loiosh
>can communicate clearly despite the Phoenix Stones' disruption of
>psychic/sorcerous energy, due to the familiar/witch bond. Nobody can

Yeah, well, I've always seen this as a case of plot convenience, more than
anything else, since Brust never explains how a witch/familiar bond is
different from normal psychic contact.

There was an internal decision-making process  that said, "I need a way to
shield Vlad from Psychic energy to hide him from the Jhereg, but I need to
keep up the ongoing conversations between him and Loiosh while I do so."

And rather than explaining a contrived difference between Vlad/Loiosh's
conversations and normal psychic ones, Brust simply notes that there *is*
a difference of some kind, and moves along.

This is not a criticism. In fact, it's a rather elegant way of preventing
a piece of fairly meaningless minutae from getting in the way of a good
story.

However, this is one example of where the books cross out of Science
Fiction (which generally offers explanations for things) into true Fantasy
(which does not).

>contact Vlad or even trace him using psionics/psychics because of the
>disruptive field. It also causes him to be unable to contact others. I
>don't remember what the results of Sethra's experiments showed regarding
>the properties of Phoenix Stones.

No results of this were ever offered to the reader, so it's not surprising
that you don't remember them. ;-)

Majikjon