Dragaera

SF vs. Fantasy, which is witch?

Thu Jan 12 13:38:31 PST 2006

> Really, I think the only real category you could call the Dragaera books
> is the "other" SF, "Speculative Fiction". This nicely avoids calling it
> science, but still allows for magical things and science things to appear.

I was going to make the same comment.

I've been reading Lois McMaster Bujold's Chalion novels (currently
"The Curse of Chalion", followed by "Paladin of Souls", a 2004 Hugo
winner).  Reading a review, I've seen these novels (which otherwise
lean very hard to the fantasy side of things) referred to as
"Speculative Theology".

I rather like that.  I'm working on something right now that mines a
similar vein, adding a sly vertical element to an otherwise horizontal
story.
--
johne cook - wisconsin, usa