Dragaera

High Tech vs. the Orb WAS Re: the honing of Vlad

Davdi Silverrock davdisil at gmail.com
Wed Jan 18 01:01:31 PST 2006

On 1/17/06, Maximilian Wilson <wilson.max at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 1/17/06, Jon Lincicum <lincicum at comcast.net> wrote:
> > Would a higher tech level really cause the Empire any problem?
> >
> > Would anthrax, atomic weapons, Sarin gas, Tanks, high explosives,
> > particle weapons, etc be very effective against a little Elder Sorcery?
>
> Hmmm. If I were in control of a 21st-century military, tasked with
> taking on the Dragaeran Empress, what would I do?

Just out of curiosity, what exactly are your purported military objectives?

> Advantages that are mine:

You seem to be making several zillion hugely unwarranted assumptions
(much like another recent military operation that could be named).

Here are a few:

1) How, exactly, do you plan to convey your troops and materiel to
Dragaera?  Just wishing them there?  If you're using necromantic
gates, may I remind you that the current known expert in matters
necromantic is on fact on the Dragareans' side?

2) Almost all of your high-tech advantages are heavily reliant on
various methods of storing energy in high-density packages or
chemicals.  May I remind you that Dragaeran sorcery does appear to be
capable of causing all high-energy-density packages to rapidly
discharge simultaneously, and at a distance?

3) /Dragon/ showed Sethra using certain limited tactics.  She was
refraining from using certain extreme methods because of mutual
convention.  If your technical advantages are so great that she cannot
defeat them in any other way, I think a real possibility is for her to
summon some Jhereg, give them, I dunno, 20,000 gold, and tell them
"The enemy command staff.  All of them Morganti."  Or, as you
mentioned, the Chaos option.

[snip list]