Dragaera

High Tech vs. the Orb

Jon_Lincicum at stream.com Jon_Lincicum at stream.com
Thu Jan 19 10:51:55 PST 2006

"Jeff G." <Log0n5150 at hotmail.com>
Sent by: dragaera-bounces at dragaera.info
01/19/06 10:27 AM

<dragaera at dragaera.info>
cc

Subject
Re: High Tech vs. the Orb

>Maybe they can build a SCIF with stones imported from Elde Island? As
>always, the keys to victory are sound strategic goals, adaptive tactics,
and
>superior logistics. We know that Sethra Lavode keeps these near and dear
>her heart, but she is not the current Warlord, and is not likely to be in
>command at first. And that first battle would be decisive. If the Empire
>responded to an invasion from the East with the scorn we have seen
before, I
>would expect the initial engagements to be a slaughter.

Hmmm. I'd almost forgotten about the Phoenix Stones. (From Greenaere, not
Elde, but the point is a good one.)

Yes, this factor would make the odds favor the high-tech side pretty
dramatically, if Gold and Black Phoenix stones were available to them in
large quantaties. I'd venture to say this factor would make control of
Greenaere a critical factor in deciding the outcome of a conflict.

Do Phoenix stones block Necromancy? Would they interfere with Morrolan's
Window, for example? If so, is it the Gold ones or the Black ones that do
it?

(On a side note, this could be why Morrolan and Aliera didn't simply use
his window to reach Vlad on Greenaere during /Phoenix/, something I'd
always kinda wondered about.)

>Also, did the javelin shooters and arrows in  "Dragon" have metal heads?
If
>so, then I can't see sorcery being very effective against
bullets/artillery
>besides destroying ammunition before it's fired. But that's when railguns
>come in handy.

The "Javelins" that Vlad used did indeed have metal heads (Vlad & co.
would sharpen them up before the attacks)... And presumably so did the
"smaller javelins" (Which I always thought was just another name for
"arrows", since that term doesn't seem to be one that Dragaerans use).

>- pondering the use of snipers against sorcerers in the battlefield.

Bullets made of Gold Phoenix Stone, perhaps? ;-)

Majikjon