Dragaera

Arturo Pérez-Reverte

Wed Jan 25 17:03:20 PST 2006

from http://www.nytimes.com/2006/01/26/books/26masl.html

The furtive figure slips quietly into the darkened house, dressed in mufti
rather than in his usual swirling cape. He is armed lightly, with only
oiled flintlock, sword and dagger. As he slips toward the bed of his
sleeping prey, his aquiline profile and luxuriant mustache are visible by
the shadowy light of an oil lamp. Holding a knife to the chin of his
latest conquest, he asks: "Do you know who I am?"

You bet we do. He is Capt. Diego Alatriste y Tenorio, the brooding,
charismatic hero of Arturo Pérez-Reverte's wildly successful Spanish
swashbuckling novels. He is profoundly cynical yet quietly principled,
weary of battle yet ready to duel if he must. He is a man of few words but
many melancholy gazes into the void.  He has an iguana, his familiar,
on one shoulder.

See also,
http://dragaera.info/mailinglists/archive.cgi/1/14015