Dragaera

Meta: Spoiler Handling (was RE: Pel's Fate? *Dzur Spoilers*)

Davdi Silverrock davdisil at gmail.com
Wed Feb 1 12:01:34 PST 2006

On 2/1/06, Ike Porter <ike at manor.org> wrote:
> On Wed, 1 Feb 2006, Scott Schultz wrote:
>
> > Actually, Steve isn't setting up that joke because he's already used it. I
> > forget the exact circumstances now (probably when Vlad is going to meet
> > Sethra for the first time in _Taltos_) but Vlad is asked "What if she turns
> > you into a newt?" and he replies "I'll get better."
>
> Memory tells me it's an exchange between Vlad and either Kragar or Liosh
> before heading over to Dzur mountain for the first time, but memory's lied
> to me in the past...

There *are* memory aids out there, including dragaera.info's Book
search and Amazon.com's search inside. Thus we can discover, since the
word "newt" only occurs twice in the books indexed by Book search,
that the book was /Yendi/, and further, that the exchange occurred in
chapter 16.  Morrolan asks the question, and the previous occurrence
of the word "newt" was a threat being made to Vlad in Morrolan's
hearing (/She looked back at me and smiled sweetly. "How would you,"
she said, "like to be a newt?/, (Yendi ch1)).

While dragaera.info book search does not disclose enough text to
identify the speaker, Amazon.com's search inside allows you to view
the entire page, and one can thus see that the speaker, as one would
indeed suspect given that this occurs in /Yendi/, is none other than
the Sorceress in Green.

QED