Dragaera

the honing of Vlad

Jon_Lincicum at stream.com Jon_Lincicum at stream.com
Thu Feb 2 12:46:18 PST 2006

"Scott Schultz" <scott at cjhunter.com>
Sent by: dragaera-bounces at dragaera.info
02/02/06 12:20 PM

"'Dragaera List'" <dragaera at dragaera.info>
cc

Subject
RE: the honing of Vlad

>If Vlad had the vial with him at the time, or Verra had been speaking to
>Vlad, I'd buy into that idea more easily. As it happens, it was Aliera
who
>demanded an explanation for why Morollan had to stay, and Verra's
reaction
>was "I don't owe you an explanation." It was only Aliera's status as her
>daughter that caused her to reconsider and answer her. Verra's only words

Well, that's how it *appears*, anyway. We don't hear Verra's inner
monologue, so her motivations are cloudy. Go ask Trout, I guess.

>addressed to Vlad were "Don't come back." If that's a hint, it's a pretty
>round-about way to give one.

S'true. I'm personally inclined to believe that Vlad came up with the idea
on his own, and that Verra's speach was just what it appeared to be... If
for no other reason than that I think Vlad's a pretty clever guy. But I
can't *prove* it.

>As far as Verra was concerned, Morollan was there for good. Rather than

Well, that's an assumption. But possibly a correct one.

>supposing that Verra set Vlad up to rescue Morollan, I'd be more inclined
>believe that Vlad's rescue of him (combined with negotiating the Paths at
>his side in the first place) was what brought him to her attention.
Before
>that he was just a member of a semi-devout family of  her worshippers.
After
>that, he became "useful".

This might work for both of them (Vlad and Morrolan) actually. (If we
assume that Paarfi doesn't really know anything about Morrolan's
relationship with Verra, and just made up huge wodges of speculation of
his own in VoA.)

Perhaps it was Morrolan's ability to escape the Paths that really made
Verra take note of him.

I suppose the chief argument against this is existence of Morrolan's
window. Verra apparently gave it to him *before* he showed up in the
Paths--but to the left, we really only have Paarfi's word on this, since
Vlad doesn't see it (chronologically, anyway) until the time of /Dragon/.

Majikjon