Dragaera

Dragaerans and learning (was re: the honing of Vlad)

Davdi Silverrock davdisil at gmail.com
Sat Feb 4 11:35:15 PST 2006

On 1/31/06, Jon_Lincicum wrote:

> Of course, one might well ask (and I have) why it takes Dragaerans so long
> to study things? I can only conclude that the same factors that give
> Dragaerans a long lifespan also result in them being very slow learners,
> at least by our standards. (How old was Savn? 80? 90? And he still needed
> his hand held to perform basic medicine, after studying it for decades?)

This is something I've been pondering for a while, and while I don't
have a good answer, here's a wildly pararectal handwave:

Consider that there is more than one type of memory, event memory, and
skill memory.  Event memory is broken down into short-term and
long-term memory, and skill memory is built from long-term memories.
Now, if you have really, really long lived entities, it would make
sense for them to be able to retain strong, long-term memories
throughout their lifetime.  However, it ought not be *too* easy to
form strong, long-term memories, because brain capacity is finite.  So
it therefore makes sense that it takes a lot longer for strong,
long-term skill memories to form in beings that have a lifespan of
2000-3000 years.

Hm.  This is a more scientific breakdown of the different types of memory:

   http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Memory

Fortunately for my handwave, many aspects of how memory works are
still not well understood.

But perhaps a 34- or 51-, or maybe even 68-year curriculum would be
more appropriate for Dragaerans.  Hm.  4 years (as in a 4-year
college) is 4% of a human lifespan.  4% of, say, 2500, is a century or
so.