Dragaera

Dragaerans and learning (was re: the honing of Vlad)

Sun Feb 5 10:25:41 PST 2006

Davdi Silverrock wrote:

<snip>

> This is something I've been pondering for a while, and while I don't
> have a good answer, here's a wildly pararectal handwave:
>
> Consider that there is more than one type of memory, event memory, and
> skill memory.  Event memory is broken down into short-term and
> long-term memory, and skill memory is built from long-term memories.
> Now, if you have really, really long lived entities, it would make
> sense for them to be able to retain strong, long-term memories
> throughout their lifetime.  However, it ought not be *too* easy to
> form strong, long-term memories, because brain capacity is finite.  So
> it therefore makes sense that it takes a lot longer for strong,
> long-term skill memories to form in beings that have a lifespan of
> 2000-3000 years.

Is this an assumption that the Jenoine fiddled with how long it takes to
form a memory on Dragaerans while they were fiddling with everything
else (ie, if you're looking for differences between long-lived and
short-lived versions, maybe you need to rearrange how memories are
formed, otherwise your long-lived versions don't learn anything past
their first century just like your short-lived versions), or are you
assuming that the Jenoine didn't make any changes to how Easterners, and
therefore Dragaerans, create memories, and that because of that,
Dragaerans have real problems finding places to put their new memories
after their first century or two (ie, when they're considered real
adults?)

(Not sure if it's evidence or not, but isn't there someplace where Vlad
notes that Dragaerans can tell the difference between brandy and wine,
but they don't call them separate names?  Would a tendency to lump stuff
together, rather than splitting it, be a memory adaptation for
long-lived types?)

Karen