Dragaera

Spoiler thread on Brokedown Palace, need to know.

Davdi Silverrock davdisil at gmail.com
Sun Feb 5 22:34:13 PST 2006

On 2/5/06, Peter H. Granzeau <pgranzeau at cox.net> wrote:
> On 2/5/06, Jon Lincicum <lincicum at comcast.net> wrote:
>
>  > (Which name
>  > was probably chosen by Noish-pa. Unless, of course, it happened to be
>  > Noish-pa's name back in Fenario. This, to me, seems unlikely, as it's
>  > not a very *humble* name for a Fenarian commoner to use within his own
>  > country. It would be kind of like someone in this country using the last
>  > name :"Christ".)
>
> I have heard of a surname "Christ", pronounced with a short "i" to
> rhyme with "mist".

Which is, in point of fact, closer to the proper way to pronounce a
truncation of the Greek word khristós (Χριστός).  That is, as I
understand it, "iota" would always be pronounced as a short "i" sound
(a 'continental' i, it says).

   http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iota

   http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greek_language

And as for surnames...  Oy vey iz mir.  Head explody.
Not NSFW, but it is kinda borderline:

   http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anastasia_Christ