Dragaera

Spoiler thread on Brokedown Palace, need to know.

Peter H. Granzeau pgranzeau at cox.net
Mon Feb 6 10:27:08 PST 2006

At 01:34 AM 2/6/2006, Davdi Silverrock wrote:
>On 2/5/06, Peter H. Granzeau <pgranzeau at cox.net>
>wrote: > On 2/5/06, Jon Lincicum
><lincicum at comcast.net> wrote: > >  > (Which
>name >  > was probably chosen by Noish-pa.
>Unless, of course, it happened to be >  >
>Noish-pa's name back in Fenario. This, to me,
>seems unlikely, as it's >  > not a very *humble*
>name for a Fenarian commoner to use within his
>own >  > country. It would be kind of like
>someone in this country using the last >  > name
>:"Christ".) > > I have heard of a surname
>"Christ", pronounced with a short "i" to > rhyme
>with "mist". > Which is, in point of fact,
>closer to the proper way to pronounce a
>truncation of the Greek word khristós
>(Χριστός).  That is, as I understand it,
>"iota" would always be pronounced as a short "i"
>sound (a 'continental' i, it
>says).    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iota
>http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greek_language And
>as for surnames...  Oy vey iz mir.  Head
>explody. Not NSFW, but it is kinda
>borderline:    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anastasia_Christ

Sorry for quoting this mess, but it is the only
message I have received with the text by John
Lincicum in it (and may I ask David Silverrock
what he does to so badly ruin the formatting of messages he quotes, anyway?)

Near as I can tell from the Wikipedia article,
iota was pronounced as 'ee", like the European
i.  In English, a long i is pronounced eye,  the
short i as it is pronounced in it or gift.

--
Regards, Pete
pgranzeau at cox.net