Dragaera

Old Elves

Howard Brazee howard at brazee.net
Wed Feb 15 09:36:32 PST 2006

Jon_Lincicum at stream.com wrote:

>>I don't think fertility is an urgent need here.   She might have long
>>term plans of returning to mortality.   But she probably has lots of
>>long term plans of a grander nature.
>
>One other point to consider--even if Sethra were still alive, she would be
>well past the age of Dragaeran menopause.
>
>By a factor of at least 10,000 I would say.

She probably avoided it - but I wonder how long the bad times last with
normal Dragaerans.

But thinking about it - how does aging work?     Do old Dragaerans stay
vigorous until they have a quick decline?

Menopause should be early enough so that you stick around long enough to
rear your children.   But can a post-menopausal Dzur fight
effectively?   I suspect yes.   Most elven myths have them virtually
immortal.   Old age might be like cancer - killing them relatively rapidly.