Dragaera

Teckla/Phoenix

Wed Feb 22 07:59:13 PST 2006

>   Anyhow, not really what I wanted to come out with, here.
> Strange  things making connections in my head, though -- have
> parallels ever  been drawn between the sequence of events
> through Teckla and Phoenix to  the abortive student revolt of
> 1832, portrayed in 'Les  Miserables'?  Admittedly, Kelly's
> organization actually manages to  make it a bit further, as
> it were, but still ...

Great! Now the image of Paresh singing "Do you hear the people sing?" is
going to be stuck in my head all day. *heh* In fact, I'm having a pretty
easy time envisioning the Vladiad as a cycle of musicals. Anyone have an
awning? We could put on a show...

I don't really draw much of a connection between Phoenix and Les Miz. About
all they have in common, in my opinion, is the backdrop of a a group of
idealist revolutionaries engaged in a revolt that is ultimately futile. Les
Miz is really (once you get past the politics and the hundreds of pages of
back-story on every character who happens to spend five minutes talking to
Valjean) the story of Valjean and his road to redemption. He's pulled into
the revolt by accident and could well have avoided it completely if he'd
wished to.

Vlad is reborn, in a sense, but I just don't see the same relationship to
the revolt and its leaders. Primarily, I think, it's because Kelly's revolt
is much more personal to Vlad - His family and his childhood home are at
stake, causing Vlad to actively oppose the revolt for most of the story.
It's Vlads love for Cawti and his devotion to her well-being in the face of
overwhelming danger and the disintegration of their relationship that leads
to his "redemption". The revolt is just another piece of the story, just as
the Five Hour Uprising is important to Khaavren's/Tortaalik's story but is,
at the same time, peripheral to it.

Vlad isn't swept up in the revolt (to the point of, apparently, killing at
least one person) as one of the idealists as Valjean is. He's swept up in it
as one of the mob, subject to the confusion, the emotion, and the action
that affects all of the rioters.

I gotta say, though, that the image of Khaavren as Javert is a pretty darn
attractive one. *heh* Except that Valjean was certainly a Tiassa, whereas
Javert would more likely be a Dzur. (If you question that, I'll just point
you to the multiple examples of Tazendra as "consulting detective". In fact,
the example in _The Lord of Castle Black_ sounds so much like Holmes that at
first glance I took it to be a pastiche of _A Study in Scarlet_. It isn't,
but there's no question that Tazendra is employing the same observational
and deductive techniques as Holmes, with Piro and company being just as
amazed as Watson ever was at the results.) I'd pity the criminal who managed
to so engage the attention of a Dzur that he became a worthy challenge all
by himself.