Dragaera

Multiple emporers in a reign, revisited

Mon Mar 13 23:14:17 PST 2006

>From: Philip Hart <philiph at slac.stanford.edu>
>To: dragaera at dragaera.info
>Subject: RE: Multiple emporers in a reign, revisited
>Date: Mon, 13 Mar 2006 14:51:58 -0800 (PST)
>

>Why would a usurpation hurry a revolt?

it seems everyone forgot the obvious answer: a usurpation would require
another assassination, and it's happened, as far as we know, only once,
ever, and thats through the aid of elder sorcery. Now, I don't know about
your view of the Orb, but the way it's talked about makes me think it has
some intelligence, so there is no guarantee Elder Sorcery is going to work
again. This would mean a botched assassination attempt, and if say, Mario,
shares this view on the matter, no one else (at least in the current
Organization, it's hard to say about back then) is even going to attempt it,
unless they're Dzur-Jhereg halfbreed.

Also, I tend to think of the Orb as an enigma of protocol. It's supposed to
protect the Emperor in cases of danger, but who's to say it didn't let
itself be "nullified" by the Elder Sorcery so the Empeoror would be killed.
If the Orb can be said to have loyalties, it's got to be to the Empire first
and foremost, because without one, the other doesn't exist (well they exist,
but it's used as a defense against the Jenione, so yeah, work with me here).
With the Empire falling apart at the seams, Adron saw it as his duty to make
a move for the Orb, and maybe the Orb agreed, for the good of the Empire. If
this new Pheonix were to take the throne, why should the Orb let itself be
transferred over for the good of the Empire, if this new Emperor wouldn't
let it fall apart? So, if all these assumptions and conclusions and other
random thoughts I've thrown together can even be enough to shed doubt in
Adron's mind, well yeah, I'd say a revolt is in order, the faster the
better...