Dragaera

Speculation on identity

Casey Rousseau casey at the-bat.net
Tue Mar 14 11:23:00 PST 2006

Ray Lee writes:
> Anyway, my point is that there's text-ev hints (on the
> same level of the Kiera plotline) that could support the
> theory that our favorite undead is on the throne.

This would be disputed by the authorial comment found at:

In which Steve wrote:
> Er, what are you talking about?  No character in the
> Vlad novels is secretly another character in the Vlad
> novels, at least that I know of.  No character in the
> Vlad novels is secretly a character in any of my other
> novels, at least that I know of.  No character in any
> of my other novels is secretly a character in any of
> the Vlad novels, at least that I know of.
>
> I think that covers it.

Indeed.  Sethra and Zerika are clearly characters in the Vlad novels.
If one of them is masquerading as the other, then it has been kept
secret from this reader.  I therefore must conclude that your theory
is without merit.

However much one may speculate on unreliable narrators, I feel certain
we need not consider Steven-the-list-contributor as yet another
unreliable source of information.

Casey