Dragaera

Multiple emporers in a reign, revisited

Tue Mar 14 12:18:11 PST 2006

On Tue, 14 Mar 2006, Ken Koester wrote:

> Philip Hart wrote:
>

> >Holding on to it would likely be taken as evidence of being the rightful
> >Heir - and having it would go a long way toward holding it, assuming it
> >doesn't have a Heir detector, since it's a powerful artifact that makes
> >the wielder invulnerable, or nearly.  [...]
>
> No, it simply protects the current Emperor.  What it does to/for anyone
> else who tries to wield it is anyone's guess.  It certainly didn't
> protect Adron.

I think you're positing a third sort of emperor - Cycle-e, Orb-e (i.e.,
who the Orb thinks is e), and controls-the-Orb-e (i.e., someone who
has hacked the Orb and taken control of all its functions except,
presumably, its Heir-detector).  This strikes me as unnecessarily
complex and fine-splitting.

For all we know it may have been trying to protect Adron -
e.g. from the spell trying to wrest the Orb away from him.