Dragaera

Multiple emporers in a reign, revisited

Maximilian Wilson wilson.max at gmail.com
Wed Mar 15 13:05:48 PST 2006

On 3/15/06, Philip Hart <philiph at slac.stanford.edu> wrote:
> I think the "sink into decay" bit would argue, in a multi-emperor
> scheme, for a greater awareness and tradition of handing off the Orb
> intraHouse.  Tortaalik starts off determined not to become decadent,
> and some discussion of the literature around secondary emperorships
> would have been apropos if there were such things.

Only if it's the individual Phoenix emperor who is expected to become
decadent--but it's the turning of the Cycle which makes the Phoenix
(as a House, it seems) become decadent. Or the decadence of the House
causes the Cycle to turn. Or the decadence of the House is a sign of
the fact that the Cycle has already turned. It's a bit like Calvinist
theologians trying to handwave the link between predestination and
good works--too mystical for my brain.

My main point is, just because one admits the possibility of multiple
emperors of the same House does not mean that one discards the Cycle.

-Max

--
Be pretty if you are,
Be witty if you can,