Dragaera

Multiple emporers in a reign, revisited

Jon_Lincicum at stream.com Jon_Lincicum at stream.com
Wed Mar 15 14:02:05 PST 2006

Just an observation, in relation to whether or not the ruling House always
changes hands when an emperor leaves...

I'd imagine, given the nature of politics, and the rocky relationship of
the Houses in general, that this thread is the exact type of conversation
that comes up every time it looks like an Emperor is in a position to
surrender the Orb.

One camp probably says, "With the emperor, goes the House."
the other says "Not so fast."

The length of a Reign is typically such that succession only happens once
or twice in a Dragaeran's lifespan.

Historical records are sometimes muddied, and an ambitious House may not
feel like waiting its turn when an emperor dies or abdicates--so, even
assuming that there are isolated historical examples of multiple emperors
within a single reign, it's almost a certainty that a claim from within
the reigning house would be contested by the next House in line any time a
sitting emperor can no longer rule effectively.

My guess is that most (if not all) of these intra-house claims are
probably defeated--meaning that one-emperor-per-reign is likely the normal
state of affairs, regardless of whether or not it is the only *possible*
state of affairs.

Majikjon