Dragaera

Speculative Planetary Statistics for Dragaera (Math help?)

Fri Apr 7 21:18:54 PDT 2006

On Fri, 7 Apr 2006, Maximilian Wilson wrote:

> On 4/7/06, Philip Hart <philiph at slac.stanford.edu> wrote:
> > On Fri, 7 Apr 2006 Jon_Lincicum at stream.com wrote:
> >
> > > The amorphia hasn't been there for "millions of years". It's older than
> > > the Empire, but probably not by very much.
> >
> > Does "The amorphia" mean anything above, and if so do you have any shred
> > of evidence for the assertion?  Or can I start discussing the Tiffany
> > gumball machine on top of Mount Bli'aard that's older than the Empire,
> > but probably not by very much?
>
> I'm not sure what this means. It seems pretty clear from Verra and
> Sethra's descriptions of the event that raw amorphia is dangerous and
> virulent stuff, that it was only a fluke that the amorphia from the
> Event failed to consume the world, and that the timing of the Event
> coincided roughly with the ascension of the gods and the expulsion of
> the Jenoine. It seems not unreasonable to suppose that the Event
> involved the creation (or importing?) of amorphia rather than... I'm
> actually not quite clear on what your alternate proposition is.
> Pre-existing amorphia pools that somehow get out of hand?

First, this argument from ignorance is the kind of thing that makes
people want to teach children ID, and should be avoided.

Second, Jon wasn't even making an argument.

Third, how the hell should I know?

Fourth, I can trivially come up with a dozen reasonable scenarios which
have amorphia existing in at least small quantities for as long as you
like, and I'm sure SKZB can come up with more.