Dragaera

The criticism of O'Brian

Thu Apr 27 11:56:46 PDT 2006

skzb wrote:

> For the record, I've read Forrester stuff twice, and the O'Brian stuff
> probably ten times.  I intend to read O'Brian again.
>
> But there is another side.  I was once raving about O'Brian to a
> fellow who said, "O'Brian is more realistic and better with language,
> but Forrestor tells a better story."  The fellow who said that was
> Gene Wolfe.  Could have knocked me on my ass with a feather.

I've heard that people who like Dr. Who tend to think whoever was
playing the good Doctor when they first saw the program was the best of
all the doctors.  I suspect something analogous happens with
Forester/O'Brian:  whichever you read first, you tend to prefer.
Realism, of course, is a loaded die; as a sailor, I can follow
Forrester's description of working a ship much more readily than I can
O'Brian.  But O'Brian's characterizations might be thought more
*plausible*, which is realism under another cover.  (And then there is
Maturin, who is fine as a ship's doctor, but what idiot in the Admiralty
would ever think that you could get much use out of a spy in such a
position?  I can't swallow any of that, realistically.  OTOH, Hornblower
is admittedly a century ahead of his time in the way he thinks.  I'm
sure that irritates the hell out of some folk.)

> Steve
>
> P.S.: I think my email is back, at least for now.  Fingers crossed.

On both hands, no less!

Snarkhunter