Dragaera

Huckleberry

Davdi Silverrock davdisil at gmail.com
Sun May 7 13:50:02 PDT 2006

For those with an interest in 19th century slang (which is related to
matters Brustian via SKZB's preference for answering the telephone
with "I'm your huckleberry"), I recently found this website:

   http://www.campchase.com/Slang/Slang-A-F.htm
   http://www.campchase.com/Slang/Slang-G-M.htm
   http://www.campchase.com/Slang/Slang-N-Z.htm

[Begin Cite]

   *Huckleberry above a persimmon*: /a cut above./ The phrase had
   many variations and shades of meaning.
   _1836_: It is a huckleberry above my persimmon to cipher out
   how I find myself the most popular bookmaker of the day.
   Colonel Crockett in Texas, p.13
   _1844_: She's a great gal that! Show me another like her any
   whar, and I am thar directly. She's a huckleberry above most
   people's persimmons.
   Philadelphia Spirit of the Times, August 24
   _1885_: I'm a huckleberry above that persimmon.
   Admiral Porter, Incidents of the Civil War, p.204

[End Cite]