Dragaera

[OT]Re: Sword Jokes.

Jon_Lincicum at stream.com Jon_Lincicum at stream.com
Mon May 15 09:14:09 PDT 2006

"Shawn Burns" <shawnb at stanford.edu>
Sent by: dragaera-bounces at dragaera.info
05/08/06 02:20 PM

<dragaera at dragaera.info>
cc

Subject
RE: [OT]Re: Sword Jokes.

>So it just occurred to me, after reading these and countless other sword
>jokes, that we might be approaching them in the wrong way entirely, if
one
>of our purposes is to contribute jokes similar to the originals. For the
>most part, we've been offering versions that elicit responses appropriate
>for those already acquainted in some way with Dragaera and the Houses.
There
>have been some exceptions, but for the most part that is how they have
run.
>However, the brilliance (bright, shining, illumination) of the jokes
already
>written was that they were in fact out-jokes instead of in-jokes. They
make
>use of something everyone who is NOT Dragaeran would be familiar with or
>would respond to in order to reveal something about the Houses instead of
>playing on our knowledge of the House to make a funny.

I'm not sure I understand the distinction you're trying to make, here.

ALL of these jokes, even Steve's, would be unfunny without the proper
context of Dragaera. (Yendi: One to sharpen the sword and one to confuse
the issue? Huh? What's a Yendi? Why is that funny? Dzur: One to sharpen
the sword, three to make it worthwhile. Huh? Why would someone need three
people to fight against?)

Certainly, some of the jokes offered here are better or worse in regards
to how easily they would be understood by a lay-person... And IMO, the
better ones generally *are* the ones that are more readily understood. But
I think we've seen examples of several of these in this thread...

Like so many creative writing exercises, for every good joke, you're going
to get 4 or 5 lame ones (if you're lucky). Hence, the process of editing
out the boring or (let's face it) stupid jokes in favor of the more
refined and/or punchy ones. I don't think this is a flaw in thinking--just
a matter of getting from the brainstorming part of creation into the
refining part.

I understand that Steve spends time editing his books before he publishes
them. Who knows how many lame sword jokes he went through on scratch paper
before he found the three or four that we've seen in the books? There are
probably piles and piles of pages that he's written that we'll never
see--and believe me, we're probably much better off for it.

Majikjon