Dragaera

META: Proposed rules page first complete draft

Jon_Lincicum at stream.com Jon_Lincicum at stream.com
Fri May 26 06:40:00 PDT 2006

Howard Brazee <howard at brazee.net>
Sent by: dragaera-bounces at dragaera.info
05/26/06 04:51 AM

cc
dragaera at dragaera.info
Subject
Re: META: Proposed rules page first complete draft

>On 5/25/2006 1:57 PM Jon_Lincicum at stream.com wrote:
>>  When mentioning specific plot points, especially major revelations
>>  from
>>  the later works it is considered polite to place a spoiler warning in
>>  the
>>  subject line of the message. This most notably concerns certain facts
>>  revealed late in _Orca_, and many of the later events in _Issola_ and
>>  _The Viscount of Adrilankha_.
>
>It's not obvious to me what the spoiler is in this last one.

Well, it's not just one or two big thing the way it is with _Orca_ and
_Issola_, and applies mostly to _Sethra Lavode_, rather than the first two
volumes of VoA.

Consider:

a) VoA is the third of the Khaavren romances, there is therefore a lot of
build-up to the events in VoA in general.
b) SL is the third volume of VoA, and the one with all the resolution, so
there's a lot of build-up to the events in SL in particular.
c) The body count at the end of SL is rather high, including some rather
important figures.
d) SL is (at present) the most recent Dragaera work (and will remain so
until August when it will be only be 2 years old (Hardcover) and 1 year
old (paperback)).
e) Events at the end of SL concern those who must not be named, and
include conversations with the gods, both of which relate to other facts
from other books that might be considered spoilers.
While no one of these factors (except maybe (c)) is really enough to
require spoilers by itself, add them all up and I'd say they're still
probably justified. But that's one opinion, and I'm happy to go with the
group consensus on this one. After all, I've read VoA, so you can't spoil
it for *me*.

Jon