Dragaera

Reading Order WAS Re: Iceflame was Tukko (Massive words of Issola Spoilers)

Mon Jun 5 14:06:49 PDT 2006

dragaera-bounces at dragaera.info wrote on 06/02/2006 09:32:29 PM:

> On 6/2/06, Jon Lincicum <lincicum at comcast.net> wrote:
> >
> > Martin Wohlert wrote:
> > > However, even after a re-read (or is it two?) I still think that the
> > > the ending of _Issola_ is quite woolly...
> > It does go by rather quickly, and /Issola/ of all the Vlad books, is,
> > date, the one that is most dependent on having read the other books
(esp
> > /Dragon/,  /TPG/ and /FHYA/) to fully appreciate.
> >
> > Perhaps /Dzur/ will eclipse it in this respect. I think Steve may have
> > given up on the idea of writing the books in such a way that the order
> > does not matter.
> >

> My introduction to Dragaera was a brief mention of it on a Usenet group
> year and a half or so ago, followed by a skim through a web page (not
sure
> whose), followed by a glance at Tor's sample chapter of Issola. That was
the
> hook; I found a copy of Issola and read it and loved it, and went
looking
> for the other books to figure out all the backstory. I kept hoping each
> story would reveal how Vlad lost his finger; eventually I figured out
that I
> hadn't missed anything, Steve just never explained it. :) I don't know
that
> I "fully" appreciated /Issola/ the first time through, since I hadn't
read
> Orca. For instance, the Third Floor Relic quip made no impression on me
> whatsoever. But I didn't "fully" appreciate Yendi the first time either,
for
> the same reason.
>
> I think Steve did a marvellous job of making Issola a viable entry-point
> into the series, and I hope /Dzur/ is just as good.
>
> -Max

same here.  issola was my first brust book.  i was able to follow it fine
the first time i read it.  (i then went out the next day and bought all of
the brust books i could get my hands on).  i will say though, that the
second time i read issola (after having read the rest of the books) it was
like reading a different book.  the story kind of went from two dimensions
to three, if that makes any sense.

The information contained in this e-mail is for the exclusive use of the intended recipient(s) and may be confidential, proprietary, and/or legally privileged.  Inadvertent disclosure of this message does not constitute a waiver of any privilege.  If you receive this message in error, please do not directly or indirectly use, print, copy, forward, or disclose any part of this message.  Please also delete this e-mail and all copies and notify the sender.  Thank you.

For alternate languages please go to http://bayerdisclaimer.bayerweb.com