Dragaera

Sethra Lavode (Large spoilers, esp Orca/Issola)

Jon_Lincicum at stream.com Jon_Lincicum at stream.com
Tue Jun 13 09:18:43 PDT 2006

Felix Eisen <felixeisen at yahoo.com>
Sent by: dragaera-bounces at dragaera.info
06/13/06 08:48 AM

dragaera at dragaera.info
cc

Subject
Sethra Lavode

Sethra Lavode Spoiler Space (which is to say, for nearly every book out
there):

  1
  2
  3
  4
  5
  6
  7
  8
  9
  10
  11
  12
  13
  14
  15
  16
  17

 > Okay, there.
 >
 > Sethra Lavode can:
 >
 > Eat food.
 > Breathe (still necessary for talking out loud).
 > Walk, etc.
 >
 > Not saying she -has- to, but she -can-.  She's vampiric undead; she
says so.  So.

While "breathing" implies respiration, which is not in itself necessary
for speech, I'll accept this term as close enough.

>   While we know that she DOES have cold hands, Sethra-as-Kiera does not
have a sub-normal body temperature; we know, however, that she >takes a
great amount of care in keeping Kiera as separate and individual as she
can.  I believe that among these individual aspects is the >necessary
altering of Kiera's -apparent- body temperature.  Whether this is a matter
of blood-flow control (cold feet/hands in us Easterners >are the result of
a lack of full blood flow) or a matter of a spell -- something I doubt,
since it'd show up like a spotlight on an >individual we know isn't one to
make a show of herself -- it is clearly something that Sethra -does- do.

How much is truth, and how much is illusion? Is Sethra actually making her
hands warm, or just making them *seem* warm?

>  Sethra, as herself, has no need of such rigid self-control; she is
Sethra, and the Empire simply has to accept her as she is.

>  Can she shapechange?  Possibly; probably, even.  I think that, in the
centuries she's used Kiera, she's become skilled enough in more >ordinary
vehicles of disguise (posture, mannerisms, and grooming) so that those
very few who have the chance to see both (regal, powerful, >undead Dzur)
Sethra and (warm, friendly, thieving Jhereg) Kiera simply have a problem
thinking of one as being the other -- even >potentially.

Sethra is noted by Vlad to be "Tall for a Dragaeran", and Kiera is noted
to be "small Dragaeran female form" (/Jhereg/, ch 4.) So there is
apparently some significant difference in their heights. I find it hard to
see how this could really be accomplished without invoking some aspect of
shape-changing ability... Unless she simply keeps Kiera's body in a cooler
somewhere in Dzur Mountain, and "inhabits" it when needed.

Since reading /Orca/ I've been very curious how Sethra was apparently able
to leave Dzur Mountain as Kiera during the events of /Taltos/ while Sethra
herself was "unable to leave Dzur Mountain at this time" (where it is
implied she's about to do battle with a Jenoine). Is this perhaps a crack?
Or possible due to the way in which Kiera manifests?

>  Sethra also admits to Vlad that nobody's really gotten to work with her
as closely as he has, so ... I guess they all need to work on >their
disguises, eh?

Kiera tells Vlad not only that very few people have known both of her
personae well enough to make any kind of connection, but also that so far
as she knows, he's the only one to have figured it out. Aliera may just be
keeping her mouth shut, but it always seemed to me that Sethra and Aliera
were never as close as Sethra and Vlad or Sethra and Morrolan.

>  However, for the purposes of Kiera, it's pretty clear that Sethra
already knows a hell of a lot more than anybody else.

Re-reading Jhereg recently, I was amused by the scene where Vlad tells
Sethra about Mellar (after having told Kiera about it already) and him
wondering "How did Sethra find out so much about this?" It's amusing the
things you pick up when reviewing these books. SKZB was dangling the
secret in front of our faces at every opportunity from the very beginning.
Ah, hindsight.

Majikjon