Dragaera

Multi-jointed fingers (and houses)

Davdi Silverrock davdisil at gmail.com
Fri Jun 16 12:14:06 PDT 2006

On 6/16/06, Philip Hart wrote:

> On Fri, 16 Jun 2006 Jon_Lincicum at stream.com wrote:
>

> > At one point in /Athyra/, Vlad takes Savn out into the woods and teaches
> > him to make psionic contact--and it's something he seems unfamiliar with
> > (but, is obviously capable of, since Vlad teaches it to him).
>
> Will have to reread - thought this was a witchcraft-related thing, as
> Vlad wouldn't want to take off his phoenix stones for something minor.

I could be wrong, but I seem to recall that the Phoenix stones block
most magic, including witchcraft.  I think he does take them off for
his session with Savn, though.

> > My guess, then, is that while the ability is there, (confirming what
> > Aliera relates to Vlad in chapter 9 of /Jhereg/) Teckla don't generally
> > get the training needed to use it.
>

> Odd - it must be such a huge advantage - consider cell phones vs no snail
> mail.  Maybe this is an instance of isolation/rural cultural inertia -
> perhaps that doesn't affect my argument about Easterners in or next to a
> metropolis.

It occurs to me that psionic communication may not be encouraged
because the aristocracy fear that that good communications might allow
Teckla to co-ordinate a rebellion better.  Just a thought.