Dragaera

How is House Jhereg governed?

Fri Jun 23 10:59:32 PDT 2006

>I guess my point is that we have some obvious text examples of how a noble
>goes about recruiting an assassin when the need arises, and it seems to be
>on a strictly free-lance, individual basis.

Point taken, though I was thinking of more mundane examples. Somebody needs
a loan on the hush-hush, or wants to acquire some item that his neighbor
owns, or just wants some ostensibly illegal "action" that's in keeping with
his station. These are the petty sorts of dealings that make up the bread
and butter of The Organization by the sorts of people who, I'd imagine,
don't usually have the connections that Greycat clearly had or developed
once he had the need.

Actually, if we believe Vlad, House Jhereg rarely "works" outside of the
House. I'd lean towards labeling Greycat as an aberration, primarily because
he was out of favor and therefore wasn't making any pretense at "honor". He
was essentially a Jhereg in action, if not in fact. Given his obvious
organizational skills despite his setbacks, I wonder how far he'd have
gotten if he'd been willing to settle for a place in the Organization
instead of trying to recover his position at Court?