Dragaera

Paarfl?

Mon Jun 26 10:37:15 PDT 2006

Paarfi is the author of the Khaavren Romances, much as S. Morgenstern is the
author of _The Silent Gondoliers_. (Sadly, I've lost my hardcover that
actually had S. Morganstern printed on the spine as the author.) S.
Morganstern might be more popularly known as the author of _The Princess
Bride_ but that is ostensibly an abridgement of the original by William
Goldman so we never actually "meet" Mr. Morganstern. _The Silent Gondoliers_
is narrated by Morganstern himself; but I digress.

The point being that Paarfi is as much a character in the Khaavren/Piro
stories as any of the protagonists. He's only an alias for Brust inasmuch as
Vlad is also an alias for Brust. In the Brustiverse, Paarfi is a real
person. Vlad has read some of his books. You may also recall the interview
between Paarfi and Brust if you think of one being an analog of the other.
*heh*

Of course, that doesn't mean that Paarfi isn't modeled after Steve. The
business at the end of _Sethra Lavode_ where the guy writing the afterword
talks about Paarfi entertaining a young groupie by attempting to teach a
strange bird to curse, I believe it was - That sounds like a colorful
description of Steve playing with his own bird, possibly even at a Sci-Fi
convention. Anyway, while the more "colorful" side of Paarfi could be based
on Brust to some extent, Paarfi himself is a character in his own right and
not just "the author in Dragaeran clothing", IMO.