Dragaera

Styles of Speech

Howard Brazee howard at brazee.net
Tue Jun 27 18:18:02 PDT 2006

I wonder how much of a style of speech we read about was really a
style of writing, and how much was it typical of the way people
talked.   When Steve uses Paarfi to write, we see what style of
writing was being used, but don't know if that speech was common.

We can emulate a past style, where we have existing examples of that
writing - but when we move into more alien venues - such as the
future, it gets difficult.   In the near future, we can play with
language and  style with works such as _Clockwork Orange_.   But this
doesn't make sense in the far future, where they might as well be
speaking Babylonian.

What we *can* do is emulate a Victorian style when we want to show a
formal society.    It won't be Victorian, but we get the flavor. This
same trick was used in movies such as _Spartacus_, when they cast
Americans as the slaves, and British as the rulers.   We could hear
the difference and play the game.

I've read of people complaining about the casting of Sean Connery as
Captain Marko Ramius in _The Hunt for Red October_.   They didn't like
the fact that Connery has a Scottish accent.    But what they missed
is that he was Lithuanian.   In a ship full of Russians (played by
non-Scoots), this was an important plot element.   Having a Scott play
that role reminded us of his difference (as they all spoke Russian in
English).