Readalong

TPG: Preface: Patronage

David Dyer-Bennet dd-b at dd-b.net
Wed Jun 19 09:54:39 PDT 2002

Starshadw at aol.com writes:

> I find it interesting that Paarfi - a historian (who is supposed to be
> relatively unbiased) has a patron.  Patronage implies that one must please
> said patron in order to continue to to be well-fed, housed, entertained,
> accepted in polite company, etc.
>
> Do we not then have to take everything from the Preface on with an enormous
> grain of salt?  At first I thought, "Well, given the events he's writing
> about are pre-Interregnum, how bad can it be" and then I reminded myself how
> long-toothed Dragaerans are and hence it is still an issue.
>
> If all "historians" such as Paarfi (as opposed to chroniclers who are simply
> writing down their impressions and observations as they witness events) must
> have patrons to suppose their work, then is any "history" written by
> Drgaerans accurate?  And of course, the trouble with chronicles is that they
> only show one small part of the larger picture.

Interesting idea of patronage.  Of course, if the patron *wants* an
honest history, that would seem to be a *good* influence.  Just like a
publishers wanting a biased work (or the Texas school board wanting a
biased work) can today.  So I'm not sure things would really be any
different from the way they are now.

At least in this world, patronage didn't last much into the wide
marketing of books, did it?  At least as a primarily financial
relationship?  What's the book technology in Dragaera at various
periods?  Are they doing printing yet?  Is literacy widespread?  I
seem to remember that it is.
--
David Dyer-Bennet, dd-b at dd-b.net  /  New TMDA anti-spam in test
 John Dyer-Bennet 1915-2002 Memorial Site http://john.dyer-bennet.net