Readalong

Candlebuds (was: Re: Notes: TPG through ch 2)

Mon Jun 24 12:30:11 PDT 2002

Raellew at aol.com writes:
> In a message dated 6/23/02 5:46:09, Thomas Yan writes:
> Gaertk at aol.com writes:
> >> I never quite figured out what was up with those candlebuds
> >
> >Me neither.  [...]
>
> My take:
>
> Allistar and Illista, or Hrivaan and Nylissit, if you prefer, were in the
> area looking for candlebuds - a rare, exotic flower, and the perfect

Why do you think they are rare?  "there are whole valleys that shimmer
in the night, and are so well lighted one can find the small paths
left by [antelope & tsalmoth(s?)]", p24.

> gift for a Consort who has everything. Having found one (or more),
> they returned to the City. For whatever reason, they didn't want
> anyone else to know they had it. Perhaps afraid the candlebud will
> be stolen, more likely the gift is simply meant to be a secret.
-snip-

I don't remember the circumstances of Hrivaan & Nylissit popping up
again later in the book; maybe it'll be clearer then...

- tky