Readalong

[DbS] TPG ch12-ch14

Fri Jul 19 20:19:19 PDT 2002

Melissa Fitzgerald <meersan at mn.astound.net> writes:
> At 08:48 PM 7/19/02 -0400, Thomas Yan wrote:
> >It sounds fine.  What I'm wondering is why Paarfi is calling attention
> >to "in the wings".  Paarfi isn't necessarily as clever as he thinks he
> >is, but why does he think this is clever at all?
> >
> >For example, if a tiassa were a bird (like a phoenix) instead of a
> >cat, it have wings, so it would be a small play on words to say a
> >Tiassa has "wings".
>
> Perhaps Paarfi believes he is clever because, if my understanding is
> correct, the tiassa is indeed a winged cat.

!  Then "waiting in the wings" is especially appropriate, since there
is the implication "poised like a cat to pounce/strike".

> I was able to find a link,
> http://www.math.ttu.edu/~kesinger/brust/houses.html which apparently refers
> to information provided in _Dzurlord_.

Good find.  (I knew there was such a page; I should have looked for it
and checked what it had to say.  Shame on me.)

>  There may be more canonical
> evidence available, however.  According to the page, the tiassa is a "large
> panther with batlike wings--represent[ing] catalyst and inspiration."

Textev would be most welcome.

Tangent: Looking at the page, I'm reminded that issola represents
courtesy and surprise.  If gracefulness counts as courtesy, then it is
interesting that Aerich, a Lyorn, has been at least twice described as
fast yet graceful (p10 and p94 or p95), which seems more
characteristic of an Issola than a Lyorn.  Dunno if that is signficant
or I'm ignoring Noish-pa's advice (viz., I'm getting distracted by
shadows).

- tky