Dragaera

new to list & Re: Map

Tue Jun 4 18:29:20 PDT 2002

At 08:45 PM 6/4/2002 -0400, Gaertk at aol.com wrote:
>  BP doesn't get lost in the cracks (since both Ace and
>Tor seem to have fogotten that it's set in the same
>universe).

I *think* Tor is planning to reprint BP, though I won't swear to it.  I
have a half memory of having signed a contract for that.

>The Tolkien approach: make a map and meticulously label
>dozens of places the characters never visit, or have even
>heard of.

Tolkien's map is one of my examples of fantasy maps with too much white
space where the characters have never been.

>If that sounds too much like work, just take whatever
>sketches you already have and instead of putting them in
>the next book, put them on your website.

Hmm.  I don't see that as being much different.  Though, I admit, it is not
impossible that something like that could happen someday.  But then, of
course, it makes it harder to do fun things like having Vlad refer to
Kieron's Sea being to the south, and Paarfi refer to it being to the north.

>I'm willing to give credit for the irony of putting maps in
>the books where I didn't care where things were (Yendi and
>Brokedown Palace), and omitting them from the books where I
>really needed them (Dragon and Phoenix Guards).

The Yendi one irked me a bit.  I sent them both in with a note saying, "Do
you think putting one of these in the book would be worthwhile?"  And,
instead of answering me, they printed them both.

>One final question: is Rakeland doing the cover art for
>Viscount?

Nope.  But I like the cover.  Piro (The Viscount) looks incredibly cute.