Dragaera

Hardback vs. Paperback

Glenn Ellingson geewiz at mac.com
Wed Jun 5 08:58:21 PDT 2002

15-20 years? Pshaw! :-)

The oldest paperback on my shelf seems to be a copy of _The Two Towers_
that is 36 years old (1966, 7th american printing by Houghton Mifflin).
That's 4 years older than me. Actually, I also have a 4th printing of
_Soviet Science Fiction_, edited b Asimov, from 1966.

I don't seem to have old copies of any of Brust's (Steve's? How do you
prefer to be referred to in the third person?) books, probably because I
keep giving them away (spreading the word!). I loaned out To Reign in Hell
once when I was drunk hosting a party in 1996 and didn't remember who I
had loaned it to. Needless to say it was never returned, which left me
without a copy for several years. And of course on Amazon all the
reviewers say "don't even think about loaning this book to anybody." Doh!
Now, thanks to the reprinting, I own 3 copies and I'm in position to loan
it again :-). I still miss that first cover, though.

I also pick up copies of Jhereg in used book stores so that I could give
them to new friends.

-- Glenn Ellingson