Dragaera

On the subject of peppers.....a warning

books at bofh.com books at bofh.com
Wed Jun 5 20:38:14 PDT 2002

> Being a fan of cooking myself, I have run into this very same problem.
>Thankfully, the wonderful world of chemistry provided me with a solution
>which I will relay here, even though it's quite off-topic.

> The acid can get really into your skin, I /think/ because it mixes with
>your
>natural oils.  Since I deal with hot peppers often (salsa is fun to make!),
>I've found that washing your hands once with soap and water, then covering
>them with a thin layer of baking soda, then rinsing them again, ensures that
>you will never be in riduculous amounts of burning pain if you for some
>reason need to start poking at your cornea. ;)  The baking soda will
>neutralize those wonderful pepper acids lickety-split.

I just finished putting together a salsa recipe book for my sister, and
we made a few of the recipes before we shipped it off.

Living in the southwest, we get access to some Mexican food that is
a _tad_ bit better/hotter than most found in the midwest.  I have
read the messages with regards to jalapeno's (sorry, can't provide
correct letters in a 7 bit ascii message) and had to wonder if you all heard
the call of the same bird I have.  It sounds something like this:

"Woosie!  Woosie!"

:)

jalapeno's have a scoville of up to 4500.
serrano's start at 7000.
habanero.  Ahhhhh!

I made the mistake of mixing a serrano salsa up partially by hand
(wearing gloves for the deribbing and seeding) and my hands had
this burn for about 2 hours.

But, it was a damn fine salsa.

I have not had the ...umm...cajones... to make the Xinpec salsa
with habaneros yet.

Why yes, now that you mention it, I too hear the bird. :)

-Jot

p.s.: Note to self, pdf and put online the salsa cookbook.