Dragaera

Another Turn of Subject

Fri Jun 7 11:46:15 PDT 2002

David Dyer-Bennet <dd-b at dd-b.net> wrote:

> Nancy Thuleen <nthuleen at students.wisc.edu> writes:
>
> > (Xthread: now see, if I'd had an e-book version of Dragon, I
> > wouldn't have had to flip through so many pages -- but on the other
> > hand, as someone else pointed out, I knew the scene I was looking
> > for was at the top half of a right-hand side page, and I don't know
> > if I'd have been able to find that in an e-book.  Still, I'm for
> > them, in general terms.)

I was the someone, and claim you'd be able to do that in a good e-book
implementation.

> Okay, here's a bit of a teaser.  I'm working on putting together a
> search engine with access to the full text of the books (I've got 4
> books to work with, and now I'm working on getting the search engine
> part going; it'll be quite a bit of work to complete the set of books
> when that's ready).  This should make it easy to look for things like
> that.

Yay!

> The way existing search engines work isn't ideal for this -- they find
> a *document*, and don't go into details on hits within that document.
> So I've got htdig working in my test environment, but it's not really
> returning useful information yet and I'm pondering how much I can do
> by working with templates, and how much trouble it would be to go into
> the actual code.  I think it assumes a very different model,
> unfortunately.

Could you make each page in the book a separate document,
e.g. Dragon-Ch3-p72?  Then returning the document automatically gives
you the book, the chapter, and --for at least one edition-- the page
number, from which you could also get "20% into the chapter", like you
describe below:

> But I hope to get something working eventually.  It'll probably return
> hits mostly in terms of "20% into chapter 7 of _Dragon_" or something;
> because one constraint is we don't want it to give away the text of
> the books *too* easily.

- tky

P.S. I'm switching to the digest.  All this traffic is neat, but it is a
     constant flood!