Dragaera

"The time has come, the Walrus said

Fri Jun 7 13:09:02 PDT 2002

From: "Steven Brust" <skzb at dreamcafe.com>

> >Steve, what did I miss, or are you snickering already at how wrong I've
got
> >it all?  :)
>
> Well, you left out wizardry.
>
> But while I have no actual disagreement with you, you ought to know that,
> in my own head, I do not *want* these things precisely defined.  That
> doesn't mean if I object if you do, it just means that I won't.  While I
> confess to being a closet Aristotelian, I am still aware that, in the real
> world, things don't fall into the nice, neat, distinct categories we'd
like
> them to.  Magic, especially, cannot be precisely defined, or it stops
being
> magic.

I agree entirely... if you turn magic into some kind of pseudoscience with
clear, described rules, it ceases to be magical.  Haha, midiclorians,
anybody?  Sigh...

While I was reading Issola, I was afraid maybe the your rules for magic were
getting a little to clear for my taste, but there were so many gray areas in
my last e-mail that I've obviously got lots left to figure out.  :)