Dragaera

Spoiler protection (was: META: readalong list rules)

David Dyer-Bennet dd-b at dd-b.net
Tue Jun 11 21:16:05 PDT 2002

Gaertk at aol.com writes:

> [snip everything quoted]
>
> How do we want to handle spoiler protection when new books
> come out?  I suggest putting "SPOILER" in the subject and
> at least ten lines of spoiler space preceding the spoilers.
>
> How long should we require spoiler protection?  One month?

We do need a policy, and hence some rules statement, in the main
list.  Unfortunately, I think serious spoilers need protection
essentially *forever*.  I see people running into trouble with that
fairly frequently on rec.arts.sf.written, for example.  Probably a
shorter exclusion on *any* spoilers is a good idea too.

Remember, lots of people will find the list after having just found
the books and read the first few.  Or maybe the most recent three
instead.  Or something.

Serious spoilers coming...

Examples of serious spoilers:

    Kiera the Thief is Sethra Lavode.

    Vlad has Aliera's brother's soul.

    Rosebud was his sled (oops, wrong universe).
--
David Dyer-Bennet, dd-b at dd-b.net  /  New TMDA anti-spam in test
 John Dyer-Bennet 1915-2002 Memorial Site http://john.dyer-bennet.net