Dragaera

Spoiler protection

Thu Jun 13 10:56:34 PDT 2002

Richard Suitor <rsuitor at cjwrfs.net> wrote on Wed, 12 Jun 2002 15:18:48
> Personally, for an author whom I read because I like the way he writes
> and like to be in the worlds he creates, I think spoilers of little
> relevance.

Yup, people vary wildly on how they feel about spoilers.  I now often
avoid reading blurbs on the book jackets.  Surprisingly, attitudes
don't seem tightly correlated with whether one rereads books.

I like to reread books, and while it is true that I have been
"spoiled" for the rereads, I still like to be unspoiled for my first
pass, which is generally the only reliable time I can count on being
maximally unspoiled.  (But not always.  Some books I've read so fast
or made so little impression the first time, when I come back to them,
it's almost as if I'm reading them the first time.)

I guess roughly 1/5 to 1/2 of the books I read a year are rereads.

> They will be an annoyance to Steve -- I would think that
> in this group that would be a major inducement not to use them.  But
> others may have different views.

Sorry, I don't understand what you're saying here.  Please explain?

- tky