Dragaera

*Readalong* Spoiler protection [was: Spoiler protection]

Thu Jun 13 21:40:01 PDT 2002

Matthew Hunter wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 13, 2002 at 07:45:55PM -0400, Thomas Yan
> <tyan at twcny.rr.com> wrote:
>> But to reiterate, I would still want to see labeled spoiler space for
>> other books, even if they are broad spectrum.  In fact, I expect to
>> often resort to labels like:
>>
>> + "Spoilers for all Vlad books to date"
>> + "Pub-o spoilers thru Phoenix"
>>   (What's a good abbreviation for "publication order?)
>> + "Ser-o spoilers thru Phoenix"
>>   (What's a good abbreviation for "series order?)
>
> This is just silly.
>
> EVERY post will end up having spoiler protection in it.  There is
> a point at which you just have to assume people have read the
> books in order to have a discussion about the books.  All the
> major Dragaera works are in print to the best of my knowledge.
> If people want to discuss the books and can't afford to buy
> what's currently published all at once, they would logically join
> the readalong list and buy one book per month or so as that list
> progresses.
    I agree. I would like to participate in the read-along but if  we
have to follow alot of complicated spoiler rules that would involve
(at least for me) stacking all of  Steve's books next to the pc and spending
a fair amount of time leafing through them trying to remember which book(s)
the incident(s) I want to talk about was in and then figuring the spoiler
warning(s)
that was necessary I would wind up never posting for fear of
angering/spoiling
someone.
    Perhaps spoiler warnings for any new books that are published for the
first month or so to allow for budget/real life/workload interference
would be the best, as someone mentioned the rasfwr-j ng does.
    Along with those folks who haven't read everything by Steve (yet)
reading the list 'gingerly', as someone else suggested.
    Anyway, that's my vote.