Dragaera

Devera [was: protection]

Michael S. Schiffer mss2 at attbi.com
Fri Jun 14 15:43:40 PDT 2002

At 06:28 PM 6/14/2002 -0400, Starshadw at aol.com wrote:
Spoilers for _Issola_

>In a message dated 6/14/2002 2:54:00 PM Mountain Daylight Time,
>rone at ennui.org writes:
>

> > Monty Ashley, the man behind the Devera FAQ, theorized it was Devera,
> > and Steven confirmed this on rasfw.

>I've never heard this, either.  Can someone post his theory and proof so we
>can catch up?

The Devera FAQ, with Monty's evidence, is available at
<http://www.ugcs.caltech.edu/~phoenix/brust/devfaq.html>.  For _Issola_, it
has the following listed as a Devera appearance:

***
[P]age 230.

[start quote]
We all stopped and looked, and discovered that we were, in fact, not the
only ones moving directly at the Jenoine: the dragon was, too.
"Well, that is hardly surprising," said Sethra.
"Who is it?" asked Aliera.
"You don't know?"
"No, should I?"
"Yes."
"Well then, who--"
"Not now," said Sethra. She frowned, and finally said, "Very well. Leave
her alone, we'll adjust.

page 235:
The dragon, for no reason that I could see, stopped as if it had struck a
wall, rolled over -- something that big does a lot of rolling over when it
rolls -- and then came to its feet once more, and shook its head in a very
human gesture.

page 236:
Then Aliera went flying backward, tumbling backward like a seed bag without
the seed, landing next to the dragon. I thought she was dead, or at least
injured, but she put her hand on the dragon's head, and, using it like a
handhold, rose to her feet at once, shook her head in a gesture terribly
reminiscent of the dragon's, then turned back toward the battle. [end quote]

***

The authorial confirmation, "Monty wins the bannana." (sic :-) ), is at:

<http://groups.google.com/groups?selm=3B565028.844182AD%40dreamcafe.com>

Mike