Dragaera

Devera [was: protection]

Fri Jun 14 16:09:29 PDT 2002

Starshadw writes:

> SPOILER BELOW

> I've never heard this, either.  Can someone post his theory and
> proof so we can catch up?

There are two Devera sightings in _Issola_. The first one, on page 50 (all
pages are hardback) is pretty standard Devera: "a young girl who may have
been human or Dragaeran and who I might or might not have recognized made
impossible eye contact with me."

But since Devera also serves a plot purpose in the Vlad books, when a cloud
containing something sentient appears and Sethra first acts like Aliera
should know who it is and then says (on page 230) "Very well. Leave her
alone, we'll adjust," I get suspicious. And then on pages 235 and 236, the
dragon and Aliera shake their heads in a very similar way, suggesting that
they're related. And since Verra is already in the scene, it seems logical
that this thing which:

1) is female
2) is powerful enough to make Sethra decide not to deal with it right now
3) has an interest in Aliera
4) acts in some ways similar to Aliera

... would be Aliera's daughter Devera.

That was what convinced me. Then Mr. Brust was asked on Usenet and confirmed
it, but that's sort of cheating.

Incidentally, now that Devera has been brought up, I've never been terribly
convinced by the sightings listed for _Gypsy_ or _Agyar_. If anyone has any
alternate suggestions, I'd like to hear them.

 -Monty